Friday, August 17, 2012

The Art of Building the Perfect Wardrobe

I love a breezy sundress just as much as the next girl, but fall is rapidly approaching and I'm finding myself dreaming of leather boots and crisp blouses.  Labor Day marks the start of the transition from whimsical summer style to more serious fall fashions, and therefore is a perfect time to reinvent your wardrobe.


photo courtesy of Cape Cod Collegiate

My wardrobe is currently undergoing a major overhaul.  Since graduating from college in May I have begun phasing out pieces that don't fit into my post grad lifestyle and replacing them with versatile pieces that better serve my wardrobe needs.  I will begin my first "big-girl job" in one week, and so the search continues for office appropriate pieces that suit my young lifestyle.

My quest to build the perfect wardrobe for a 20-something with the budget of a young professional has led me to the following insights:

1) Fit and versatility are supremely important.  If an article of clothing doesn't fit quite right or doesn't go with anything else in your closet you are never going to wear it.  Choose pieces that fit and flatter your shape so that you can wear them with confidence.  To get the most bang for your buck, opt for pieces that can be dressed up or down and mixed and matched with other pieces in your wardrobe.

2) Invest in timeless pieces in classic colors and prints.  When shopping for these essentials, purchase the best quality that you can afford.  Spend less on trendy add ons that will add flavor to your wardrobe.

3) Experiment.  I am admittedly guilty of sticking to the same hair and beauty routine daily, but adding a top knot and a red lip to an outfit can really shake it up.  Don't be afraid to experiment with hair, beauty, and accessories; these are easy and inexpensive ways to add flair to your wardrobe.

Feeling inspired to reinvent your wardrobe this fall?  Stay tuned for 10 days of wardrobe essentials!


No comments:

Post a Comment